Early in February of this year, Swartz & Swartz blogged about the ingestion dangers of small magnetic balls sold as toys for children. Today, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), along with six retailers, announced the recall of all Buckyballs and Buckycubes high-powered magnet sets. The participating retailers are:
- Barnes & Noble, toll-free at (855) 592-2993 or online at www.barnesandnoble.com and click on “Product Recalls”
- Bed Bath & Beyond, toll-free at (800) 462-3966 or online at www.bedbathandbeyond.com and select “Safety and Recalls” under Customer Service, then click on Recall Information
- Brookstone, toll-free at (866) 576-7337 or online at www.brookstone.com and click on “Recall Information” under Shop Brookstone
- Participating Hallmark retailers, toll-free at (800) 425-5627 or online at http://www.hallmark.com/recall-product/
- Marbles the Brain Store, toll-free at (877) 527-2460 or online at www.marblesthebrainstore.com
- ThinkGeek, toll-free at (888) 433-5788 or online at www.thinkgeek.com/buckyballs/index.shtml
The hazards associated with small magnets are well known to the toy and children’s product industries. When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child’s intestines and clamp onto body tissues, with the potential to cause intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injuries due to ingestion of small, high-powered magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has received at least 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 individuals seeking medical intervention. In recent years, there have been other recalls of toys that incorporate such magnets due to the significant risk of injuries.
If you or a family member have suffered significant personal injuries as the result of a defective product, contact the law office of Swartz & Swartz, P.C. Call (617) 742-1900 in the Boston area, or for clients in greater Massachusetts, New England, or other states across the U.S., call toll-free at 1-800-545-3732.